Saturday, October 9, 2010

Back at It

Hello there, it's been a while. Things got crazy for a while... way too much to do justice but i'll sum up. I got a great job as a marketing designer in Midtown, which means that I'm here. For real. Until I decide I don't want to be anymore. If things go the way they've been, that won't be for a long, long time. New York is really really home now. I've built myself a room/treehouse to live in and Dave has too. Dave has a job too now, working at a kickass children's bookstore called Books of Wonder. Roommates have come and gone. Christina is in Germany renewing her visa but she'll be back in a week (!), and Marcus and Jason have moved in, both of whom are terrific. We have a great group of roommates right now and the camaraderie/creative energy in the loft is at an all-time high.

Roommate Jason has built a recording studio, which is AWESOME and will hopefully continue be a great source of impetus for creation. Etta Place (my roommates' band) is recording and hoping to have an EP out soon, ideally in time for some shows that are coming up this month.

Also on the music front, my "Songwriting October" project is in full swing. Some friends and I are working on a collaborative project where we try to write a song every day for each day in October. I'm about a day behind right now, but I've been pretty good about it so far and I'm really happy both with the output itself and the improvement I'm seeing in both musicianship (recording forces you to take a tough and often unflattering look at yourself) and concrete skills (using the recording software, etc.) Plus, it's awesome to see what other people are working on too. If you haven't already, check out the blog.

I've got a great feeling about October. So far so good, and I'm already in the middle of what is undoubtedly the happiest and most creatively productive period I've ever experienced.

I'm hoping to blog more now now that I have a computer again. (In darker times around July our apartment was broken into and my computer was stolen, along with Christina's laptop and camera.) More than anything, I wanted to break the now-awkward silence that had been building up as I got more and more stressed about how much had happened and how I would never be able to sum it all up, etc. etc. I gave up and now I feel better—probably some deeper wisdom at work there—and i'm ready to move on. I'm sure a smattering of some of the crazy that happened during the hiatus will leak out from time to time.

Anyway, we're back online. Talk to you soon.

1 comment: